Apple, the manufacturer of Mac and iOS devices always does something to make its products unique globally. Again, the company released these stylish devices with their differentiating USBs. But the variation in USBs resulted in some users to damage their devices. Thus, here is this guide to let you know if you are choosing the right USB for Mac and iOS users.
The iOS Devices
If talking about iOS platforms, the USB drives with Lightning connectors are designed especially for iOS devices. But there is USB coming with plenty of limitations on their potential use. Interestingly, these limitations are imposed by Apple itself.
Being an iOS device user, you can connect the digital camera with your iPhone or iPad with Lightning-to-USB camera connection kit. These adapters are different from traditional ones letting you connect other USB devices. This includes USB microphones also.
Sometimes, connecting a regular USB drive with this adapter may display “this device is unsupported” message. This is the reason for designing USB drives particularly for iOS to bridge the gaps. Apple issues instructions for iOS accessories manufacturer to work flawlessly with these devices. The accessories include Lightning Charging cables, wireless speakers and external storage devices. An ideal USB drive is designed for iOS platforms certified with “Made For iPhone” MFi.
The restrictive nature of iOS security has dampened the use of Lightning USB Drive. Still there are some essential arguments favoring certified USB drives.
- Work as an additional storage for movies and other media files.
- Perfect for storing a heavy file rather in internal storage.
- They are notably useful to transfer files between iOS and computer system.
Here are some things you should you know before choosing an iPhone USB Drive
- Since these devices give no power, they cannot be charged when they are connected. In other words, transferring heavy files may remain incomplete before your batter depletes.
- These drives depend upon their manufacturer-specific app. As a result, you may see an invitation to download when plugged in. This app will help you assist handling media files transfers, but the outdated app will have compatibility issues.
- The manufacturer app limits the usefulness of the drive.
The MacOS Devices
The Mac OS platform, on the other hand, has some problems with USB ports. Hence, it is highly important to ensure the right USB for Mac. Many USB-C cables available are non-complaints cables revisiting the full data speed. Others draw too much power consequently damaging the charging device and the USB port of Macbook as well. The older Macbooks with USB-A port have these problems designed with maximum current draw. The USB-C devices also draw power. Due to the non-compliant cable, charging USB-C device using USB-A port can disable the port to handle the power. This may damage both devices severely. Since the speed problems still exist in Macbook with USB-C ports, it may become a challenge to choose the safe and supporting USB.
Yet, there are some solutions which could offer full transfer speed and support data. So let’s see the useful method to resolve the conflicts while the devices are connected.
- Look for SuperSpeed+ or SS+ logo. Though, not all manufacturers use the full logo, so it may not differentiate the older SS and new SS+ labels. But instead of SS+ you can find some cables coming with SS and 10 indicating the 10Bps.
- Another solution is to look for branded USB with generation label. Ensure the label indicates USB 3.1 Gen 2. This will specify the 10Gbps supporting which contrasts with USB 3.1 supporting 5Gbps only. You may also find USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 Gen 1 as well, but you must essentially look for USB 3.1 Gen 2.
- Avoid cables labeled with “charge” until or unless you want it, as it will not support transferring data. This cable includes Apple supplies in the product boxes.
AirDrop for quick file transfer between iOS and MacOS devices is sufficient. If you think that USB are useful, then these are inexpensive link between the two. The compatible and complaint USB assure users to bridge the gap and transfer data safely.